January 14, 2009

We Are All Devo!


Devo was one of the greatest bands in the history of rock and roll, wanna fight about it? I don't.

This is my blog, so I win anyway. I'll say it again. Devo was one of the greatest bands in the history of rock and roll. They were annoying, all up in your face and shit, but super pleasant and catchy as hell at the same time. I love them, so should all of everyone else on this stupid planet.

The recording that I am sticking on the internet today is "Devo : Live, The Mongoloid Years." It is way out of print, and used copies are expensive even if scratched to hell.

It starts off strong with the band in full command, laying down some blazing fast versions of songs off "Q: Are We Not Men..." As the tracks progress, the sound devolves, gets weird... confrontational. There is actually part of a fight between the band and the promoters captured on this marvelous live document. Just before the plug is pulled. You can read more about this if you're interested, here.

The tracklist is somewhat wonky, but the sound is top notch. Get it while it's hot!

{[Devo:Live.The Mongoloid Years]

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction [Listed as Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)]
Too Much Paranoias
Praying Hands
Uncontrollable Urge
Mongoloid
Smart Patrol / Mr. DNA
Gut Feeling (Slap Your Mammy)
Sloppy (I Saw My Baby Gettin') [Listed as Sloppy]
Come Back Jonee
Clockout
Soo Bawls
Space Junk
Blockhead
Subhuman Woman
Bamboo Bimb
Beulah
Jocko Homo/I Need a Chick

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I do like Devo. Why am I leaving a comment when you already know this? I don't know!

Josh Krauter said...

The piped-in satellite radio station at the HEB today played Devo's "Freedom of Choice," which is a pretty good song for when you're trying to decide why there are so many different brands of the same flavor of salad dressing, hot sauce, etc.,though it's hard to get on with your shopping when Devo's playing because it kicks so much ass, you have to stop what you're doing and pump your fist in the air.

Mr. Krotpong said...

Perfect! Freedom from choice... is what you want.